Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Last week I was involved with the interviewing process for an open position at work. While we interviewed an array of candidates the one commonality they had was their “gayness” and their desire to work in an environment that would not discriminate against them for their sexuality. While I realize no place or person should ever discriminate against anyone for their sexuality, or otherwise, unfortunately, it does happen- even in San Francisco (and if it happens, contact NCLR or ACLU as soon as possible).
I was reminded again of the wish I made all the days of my life leading up to my employment at San Francisco’s LGBT Community Center….the wish to be able to work in an environment where I would not be judged for my outside appearance or my inside sexuality.
When you are “different” –yes, even in San Francisco, you tend to be judged, and most of my life I’ve dealt with the fear of being discriminated against because of who I am….
As I find myself SWAMPED with much work to do…trying to provide cost efficient space for members of the LGBT Community (to hold support groups, informative seminars, Workshops, Updates on Gay Marriage issues and other Gay News items, Remembrance days, theatre performances and an array of other events; up to 250 each week), at times I forget the fact that for now, a wish has come true for me- I do not even think about my sexuality being an issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home