Tuesday, August 20, 2002

This morning on my way to work, this guy stopped me and asked me for a cigarette. I happened to have some on me at that point and time, so I gave him one. As I handed it to him, he went on to ask- “can I just tell you what happened”- sensing this guy was in need and wanted someone to listen, I said sure, wha’ts going on? He went on to explain that he is not from “here” and that he just got “here” two days ago, got a job at Blockbuster, then went out to a club with all his stuff “you know, looking for a place to crash”. Then he explained that he had gone home with someone who apparently wanted more than this guy was willing to give. So, the potential boarder was kicked out of the house- without any of his belongings. The guy with only the clothes on his back told me that he has been trying to get his stuff back, even called the cops, who told him they could do nothing and “what did you expect”. When he told me that, he said the cops must be homophobic.
As he proceded to tell me about how he just wanted a place to clean-up, his eyes filled with tears. I suggested that he use the Center for resources, maybe he could find a place to shelter him for a while. He thanked me- and said “it means a lot, really, thanks for just listening”, and I walked him to the door of the Center. I said good luck to him as I walked in the building.
He turned around and walked away.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home