Friday, September 06, 2002

My girlfriend ordered this book for me. It fascinates me because I agree that only two genders are not enough. Out of 6 billion people in this word, we have to be male or female, and try to identify ourselves as such. If you cross the “line”, where someone else cannot easily identify you as one or the other, you are deviant and considered a “freak” or “queer”.
I think I prefer being called “Boo” rather than my “real” name because it is unidentifiable as a gender name.
I’ve had many experiences of being referred to as “he” or “sir” because of the length of my hair. Someone else’s limited idea that women have long hair, boys have short, caused me to be mis-genderized. Or did it. I’ve always felt a bit “ambiguous” and certainly never fit into the womanly role. Even as a little-Girl, 12 years old with long blond hair- the neighbor children, after having played with me for weeks, asked me if I was a boy or a girl. They identified me as “Boo” and that name not having a specific gender attached seems to have “confused” them. My response to them was “what do You think I am?” They then answered “a girl”.
At times the gender confusion has hurt my feelings- why don’t people know what I am?? Why do people have to ask me? I even had a teacher who-when counting the boys and girls in class would Always get the number wrong…she was always One off. I had long hair back then…why did I get confused for a boy?
Even at gay clubs I used to go to, I was asked if I was a girl or a boy…”what would you like me to be?” I would respond. All of this confusion doesn’t have to do with my sexuality. This is about who or what I present to people.
These interactions, although they seem small have stuck with me. I couldn’t understand why others were confused by me…especially when I had long girl hair. Why couldn’t I fit into an identifiable gender?
This book helps give me “permission” not to fit. And it feels good.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home