Thursday, August 29, 2002

A man called our Executive director yesterday and said he had tomorrow off, and would like to come in to meet with him. I did not intercept this message before the ED received it, and therefore I didn’t have a chance to “assess” his situation and needs. Anyway, the ED and I suggested that I give this man a call to find out if there is any referral information we be able to supply to him. The number that was left was a number to a hotel here in the city…all I know of its location is “Room 101 please”. Unfortunately for me (or would it be he?), this is the kind of hotel that only takes messages and hands them to the occupants (does this mean they do not have phones in their rooms??- I would think so…). I left a message, requesting that George in Room 101 call me back. Well, he did, however I did not answer the phone, and he left ME a message. He stated that he had tomorrow off, and would like to meet with the ED. No information that would inform me what this meeting would be about was left.
This morning (and I figured this is what would happen) I receive a call from the front desk. Yes, George has showed up for the meeting he wants to have with the ED.
I go down and meet George.
He is an older gentleman and in obvious pain..you know how you can just FEEL it?
I sat down with George and asked him what the meeting he wanted to have with the ED would be regarding.
He said “it’s personal”
-(ummm..you know, where I work, that might not be a very good sign- talk about the TOP of the largest LGBT community Center in the Country. There are a lot of “crazy, pissed off people out there”. At that point, I figured if this guy wants to shoot anyone, I would take the bullet.
I told George that it would really be beneficial for me to know what his issue was regarding, because the ED may not be the best qualified person to assist him, he may actually need to talk to someone else, and to be more efficient in locating the proper channel, I would need to know what this would be regarding.
He shook his head, said he understood, and wanted to go somewhere a little more “private”. –(ut oh).
I took him upstairs, and we sat down.
His eyes welled up with tears, and his speech was a little shaky.
He handed me a letter, told me to read it.
I again asked him what the letter was regarding, he told me a “friend” of his was incarcerated, has been for 6 years, and he wanted to try to get the Center to give him funds to bail out his gay friend.
I inquired if his friend’s incarceration was due to discrimination.
He said, well, he was arrested because he was in a car with another person who had drugs on them. He stated that his friend did not possess these drugs; however, he was found guilty of possession and sentenced to prison.
(shit.)
I politely told him that unfortunately, because it seems that this is a drug possession case, and doesn’t seem to have much bearing on his friend’s sexuality, and the Center does not have a policy developed around this issue we may not be the best resource for him. However, we can supply him with referrals to organizations that may be much better suited to assist him with his needs.
He said he understood, and thanked me for my time.
I brought him downstairs, and I gave him a referral for NCLR, they may be able to provide him with legal advice. I wrote down the name, address and phone number for him. He noticed the address for NCLR, and asked the cross-street.
I have a feeling NCLR will be receiving a visit from George today.
Good for him though- take advantage of the resources around you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home