Wednesday, October 16, 2002

My favorite San Francisco band, Fabulous Disaster is playing at the Eagle on October 24th (my band is playing there on Halloween). These girls KICK SERIOUS ASS!! I love them and try to promote them every change I get…and one chance I took looks like it “panned out”.
On my birthday this year, the woman who was the reason I first picked up drumsticks (she and Peter Criss) was playing at the now defunct KIMO’s. A one Sandy West who played drums in The Runaways. A few of my friends attended this show with me- and I thank you for enduring it. The cool thing is that I actually got a chance to meet one of my idols. I’ve been admiring and copying the drumming of this woman since I was 9, 25 years of admiration. Unfortunately, she proved to be epileptic or on speed. She actually scared me…but, she did remember it was my birthday and sang me the “you say it’s your birthday song”. I thought that was cool. At the show, I talked to the singer of Fabulous Disaster, about their tour schedule, and asked WHY the hell their drummer was not at the show that night. The singer replied that the drummer DID NOT KNOW who Sandy was.
Ummm…she’s only the women who paved the way for all other female drummers to pick up the sticks and be accepted. I tell you- kids these days know nothing of the history.
A few days later, I sent Sandy an email saying thanks and telling her how great she was, and what a thrill it was to see my idol on my birthday…and actually shake her very dry and callused hands. (ok, I left the last part out). I received a reply from her manager whom we met at the show. He and I started corresponding about Sandy and about events that were happening here in the city, and about some of the local bands- of course I ranted and raved about Fabulous Disaster to him. as he lives in SF also. We actually set a date to meet up, but could not find each other in the crowd. We’ve started corresponding again, and he mentioned that he was defiantly going to be at the Fabulous disaster show on the 24th.
I just took a look at the Fabulous Disaster web-site….guess who sat in with them on drums?!

Come to the Eagle Oct. 24th and support this kick ass band!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home