Monday, June 09, 2003

Last week I was washing my hands, turned around to leave the bathroom at work when in came two older ladies. The first one took a look at me, stopped said "oh" and started to turn her head back towards the door (in an effort I imagine to insure she was in deed in the correct bathroom). When she stopped, the women behind her gave her a little (it's alright) nudge. I said "hi there" and left the bathroom.
All my life I have not fit "society's" idea of what a woman is supposed to look like. I have always felt a bit fearful as far as safety goes, and growing up in Virginia I had much reason to. Hell, even in San Francisco, I am a target. I don't even have to open my mouth; some people want to hurt me because They cannot figure me out in order to place me in either of their gender boxes. They get uncomfortable, mad, make comments about me and repress me because of their limitations.

I have not even mentioned my sexuality at this point.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home