Monday, December 16, 2002

I purchased this DVD over the weekend.
I thought it was done well, what I like most about it was that it was not reenacted but was based on interviews with towns-folk.
It is so disturbing to hear people’s feelings regarding hate crimes, at least in this film. Too many people said that the people of Laramie don’t’ care if people are “like THAT”… as long as they don’t make passes at them and they don’t discuss it.
More than one person thought that this hate crime was receiving too much media attention. One person stated that “one of ours” (a police officer) was killed, and no media was covering that tragedy.
These people give themselves away; they show their prejudice in the same sentence they are attempting to show their acceptance.

I will soon be in Strasburg Virginia and I fear I will be in the midst of many who feel the same way as those folk of Laramie.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home